This man, James Verone, robbed a bank for one dollar.
Why only one dollar?
Because he knew that in prison he could get the medical care he could not afford with his part time salary as a convenience store clerk. He was approved for food stamps, but they did little to help his finances. Between his back problems, carpel tunnel, and arthritis, he simply couldn’t handle the pain any longer.
On June 9th, he sent a letter to his local paper, the Gaston Gazette, that stated: “When you receive this a bank robbery will have been committed by me. this robbery is being committed by me for one dollar. I am of sound mind but not so much sound body.”
He then took a cab to the RBC Bank, and handed the teller a note asking for one dollar and medical attention. He quietly took a seat in the lobby and waited for police to arrive.
Since Verone only stole one dollar, he was only charged with larceny. His bail, which he doesn’t plan to pay is set at $2,000, reduced from the normal $100,000. He’s scheduled to see a doctor this Friday, and hopes to get foot surgery, back surgery and to have a protrusion on his check treated.
To me, this is the perfect example of how disturbingly corrupt and unjust our health care system has become under HMO’s. For this man, or any person for that matter, feels that he needs to be imprisoned just to see a doctor, is ridiculous.
I honestly can’t even think of words. The story says it all.
well, okay. How come Mr. Verone wasn’t able to afford regular healthcare in the first place?
“Verone’s problems started when he lost the job he’d held for 17 years as a Coca Cola deliveryman, amid the economic downturn. He found new work driving a truck, but it didn’t last. Eventually, he took a part-time position at the convenience store.” Source
- thiskittydied reblogged this from thinkitty7
- house-of-pies likes this
- starringstephh likes this
- count-twerkula reblogged this from plainweird
- meifromaspertia likes this
- spectraldragonateyourfood likes this
- thepastafarion reblogged this from cyborgbutterflies
- cyborgbutterflies reblogged this from we-are-star-stuff and added:
- geryon123 likes this
- all-the-heals reblogged this from doodlesxd
- selebrii reblogged this from stayingstrongismyweakness
- amysinponderland likes this
- brian-my-left-testicle likes this
- doctordoo likes this
- island-love-vibes reblogged this from momcantfindmenow
- plucky-pomegranate likes this
- can-you-all-just-die-now reblogged this from thinkitty7
- can-you-all-just-die-now likes this
- fuckinthetime reblogged this from thinkitty7
- seraangel reblogged this from shickalenia and added:
- figgyq reblogged this from raisingspirit
- thinkitty7 reblogged this from silentmonkfish
- thinkitty7 likes this
- riceandbeanburrito likes this
- aknightintarnishedarmour reblogged this from thatsoursong
- hayleerain reblogged this from envynervine
- seemenopeu reblogged this from stayingstrongismyweakness
- mariaisobsessed reblogged this from stayingstrongismyweakness
- pizza-sex reblogged this from strawberri-lemonade
- pizza-sex likes this
- moonphyr-has-no-life reblogged this from rubixa-reblog
- moonphyr likes this
- manis6 likes this
- imnosaintandyourenomartyr reblogged this from yousaidimbulletproof
- mylifeisinmyhead likes this
- artlover93 reblogged this from lrvin
- kittycate likes this
- special-agent-97 likes this
- rawsten reblogged this from ramsaymacdonald
- vvavesofstrange reblogged this from addingupthewastinghours
- liquidrabbit reblogged this from classy-lesbians-teaparties
- liquidrabbit likes this
- danganroopa reblogged this from hammerrtime
- addingupthewastinghours reblogged this from pilosopogyno
- bri-is-a-dreamer reblogged this from momcantfindmenow
- your-daily-fix likes this
- lionh34rt3d reblogged this from specificdreamers
- plainweird reblogged this from mutethepanda
- sirs-little-slut reblogged this from star-wounded-east